I - CLIMATE AND ENVIRONMENTAL CHANGES AND THEIR IMPACTS
CLIMATE CHANGE AND CONSEQUENCES ON THE ECOSYSTEMS
CLIMATE RECONSTRUCTION FROM HISTORICAL SOURCES AND NATURAL DATA
• Project KLIMHIST (2012-2015), based on the search and analysis of documentary data (17th-19th century) and comparison with dendrochronological and borehole information.
• Research on snow evolution in Serra da Estrela, since ca. 30 ka BP, by using multiproxy data, absolute and relative dating, sedimentological analysis and historical documents.
RESEARCH ON ECOSYSTEMS PRONE TO GREAT DAMAGES DUE TO GLOBAL ENVIRONMENTAL CHANGES.
• Project GEOGEN (DAAD-CRUP, 2011-2013); CCBiodiversity (FCT, 2011-2014); Fund EDP for Biodiversity 2011 (2012-2013)
REGIONAL, LOCAL AND URBAN CHANGES OF CLIMATE
REGULAR URBAN CLIMATE MONITORING
• Maintenance of the mesoscale networks of temperature measurements in Lisbon and Cascais and implementation of new ones in Setúbal and Aracajú (Brasil).
BIO-THERMAL PATTERNS MODELLING
• Research on the relationships between thermal conditions and comfort in Lisboa, Funchal, Cascais (Portugal), Sergipe and Campinas (Brasil) and Praia (Cape Verde).
II - CLIMATE CHANGE IMPACTS IN LOCAL COMMUNITIES AND ADAPTATION MEASURES
EXTREME METEOROLOGICAL EVENTS
EXTREME HYDRO-METEOROLOGICAL EVENTS
• Currently Funchal and Lisbon are the main study areas.
THUNDERSTORMS AND LIGHTNING ACTIVITY IN PORTUGAL
• Identification of the main spatial and temporal patterns of lightning activity, the atmospheric environment responsible for thunderstorm triggering and the major socioeconomic impacts in Portugal.
STRONG WINDS AND FALLING TREES IN PORTUGAL
• After several year of studying the fallen trees by strong winds, a database will be used to assess the vulnerability of the urban trees in the whole mainland of Portugal during these extreme events.
DROUGHTS IN TROPICAL REGIONS
• In a scenario of uncertainty envisage for the near future in tropical regions, drought variability, and intensity affecting Cape Verde and Guinea-Bissau will be studied.
CLIMATE, HEALTH AND HUMAN COMFORT
COLLABORATION WITH A PEDIATRIC HOSPITAL CONCERNING THE RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN LIGHTNING ACTIVITY AND ASTHMA.
RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN THERMAL EXTREMES AND HEALTH
• Spatial modeling of mortality due to extreme thermal events. Evaluating current risks and future threats.
CLIMATE AND ECONOMIC ACTIVITIES
URBAN TOURISM AND CLIMATE CHANGE
WIND AND NAUTICAL SPORTS
• Study on the Portuguese western Coast between Peniche and Caparica
CLIMATE AND ENERGY EFFICIENCY
• Implementation of a methodology for wind power assessment, based on statistical, linear and CFD models, for the installation of small wind turbines in the coastal areas of the LMA. Understanding the relationships between bioclimatic conditions and electrical power consumption is of major importance to accomplish the energy efficiency.
LOCAL CLIMATE AND AGRICULTURE
• Developing a methodology to assess local climate changes and their relationship with vine growing in Alentejo.
III - CLIMATE AND ENVIRONMENTAL GUIDELINES FOR PLANNING
URBAN CLIMATE AND PLANNING
• Continuing of the research in Cascais and methodology application to other cities, namely in Aracajú (Brazil) and Praia (Cape Verde).
SUSTAINABLE MANAGEMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
• Environmental impact studies, management plans and recovery of ecosystems plans.
CLIMATE AND METEOROLOGICAL HAZARDS
• Maintenance of collaboration with planners in several Municipalities, to support policy-makers decisions.